Imagine: What if our beautiful and beloved region from Tsigounas in the west, through Ditikos and Lentas over to Loutra in the east, and northwards, up through Miamou could become a green travel destination?
Since the start of the novel Coronavirus crisis, we have seen vast, world-wide changes. In the same way, our microcosm here in the Lentas / Ditikos area is also going through great change, with more to come.
Right now, we are witnessing a large slump in the tourism sector as a whole, and this situation might not improve very quickly. In addition to “Corona”, many other factors are increasingly important to people when they are deciding where they will travel to. These include major issues of our time like: climate change; pollution in the seas, earth, and air; littering; and the mountains of rubbish people create (especially plastic waste.) This means that many people are becoming more aware and critical in their considerations about where and how they wish to spend their holidays. Another significant factor here: Increasingly, people are also giving greater thought to how they can use the money available to them in ways that are mindful of the environment and support sustainable, green initiatives. In future, travellers will likely be taking such factors even more into account – especially when choosing a foreign destination.
Those of us in the region, (both native Greeks and foreign residents) who earn some or all of their livings from tourist-related occupations, need to keep these things in mind for our future orientation and planning for how tourism in Lentas should/can proceed.
Green Travel for Lentas and the region could start with considering, coming up with ideas, and timely ways to implement them. If there is enough grass roots interest, we could form an initiative (cooperating with existing local associations) that had the following focus areas for moving towards becoming a green travel destination:
- clean rubbish collection sites / separation of rubbish (recycling, composting)
- clean beeches and surrounding landscapes
- avoiding plastic and other harmful rubbish
- in gastronomy, whenever possible use regional, seasonal foods and beverages that are grown/produced organically.
- relocating parking places outside of village centres/squares
- in general, looking to the overall design and beautification of village squares in Lentas (green areas / more plants)
- promoting/supporting water conservation measures
- promoting/supporting energy from solar and wind
- to implement these goals, locals and tourists can actively and / or passively help and participate (information exchange, project actions, donations, etc.)
Lentas and the surrounding region as a green travel destination would be very attractive for many already confirmed “Lentas Lovers” and those who might become so!
Achieving a “green travel area” designation for the Lentas area would automatically be a huge marketing plus!
Your feedback, opinions, and own ideas to this proposal are very welcome. Please let us know what you think. Also, you could share what part you would be willing to play, for example:
- I am a resident of Lentas or the nearby area and I am willing to help once each month with collecting litter. (Please Include your name, address, and telephone number!)
- I do not live in Lentas, but I can imagine giving some financial support for a specific project (Please Include your name, address, and telephone number!)
- I am willing to be part of a project group to organize keeping the rubbish collection sites clean. (Please include your name, address, and telephone number!)
If you are interested in engaging with this initiative either actively or passively, please contact one of the following people listed below. (These members of the community have agreed to lead coordination and organization of a particular project when enough volunteers have come forward to implement it.):